Deployment templates are JSON-formatted files that contain the deployment plan and data set information Release needs to recreate the deployment plans and data sets. Here are a few example uses of deployment templates:
If you are creating your own templates, here’s the export/import flow:
- In the data set editor or the deployment plan details page, create a template file.
- Download the file to your local computer.
- In another control org, import the downloaded file to recreate the data set or deployment plan with data sets in that control org.
Import From a Deployment Template
Prodly provides pre-built deployment templates for several low-code Salesforce apps (for example, Salesforce CPQ).
To use one:
- Follow the setup instructions in the low-code app support help that pertains to your use case.
- Download the deployment template that matches your version of your low-code app from the Templates tab in the Prodly User Community.
- From the Admin tab under Import from Template, click Import.
- Navigate to the template file on your local computer and load it.
- A deployment plan record (when included) and adds it to the Deployment Plans page.
- A data set element for each deployment object in the template file and adds the data set elements to the Data Sets page.
Prodly’s Deployment Plan and Data Set Templates can also be installed from the Settings page within the Release tab. Select ‘Install’ for the Template you wish to access and once it has finished installing select ‘Open’.
To access this page, click the Templates tab.
The page displays pertinent information for each deployment template:
- Template ID – Specifies a system-generated name for the template.
Has these available actions: Creating a Deployment Template.
Although New is available in the standard Salesforce header of the Deployment Templates page, simply ignore it. Instead, refer to Creating a Deployment Template from a Data Set.
To create a deployment template from a data set:
- From the Data Sets Home page or Data Sets page, click the data set to use for template creation.
- In the right side of the header, click the dropdown arrow and select Create Template.
- Release creates a template file of the data set in JSON format and creates a template record in your control org. You can now export the newly-created JSON template file for backup or import into another Release installation.
Creating a Deployment Template from a Deployment Plan
To create a deployment template from a deployment plan:
- From the Deployment Plans page, click the deployment plan to use for template creation.
- In the right side of the header, click Create Template.
- Release creates the template file and the deployment template details appear. You can now export the newly-created JSON template file for backup or to import into another Release installation.
Exporting a Deployment Template
To export a deployment template:
- From the Templates page, click the template entry for the template you desire to export.
- In the single row that appears in the Template Entries section, click Download.
- Use your preferred method to copy the downloaded file from your computer to its final destination.
Editing a Deployment Template
This action edits only the template record. The contents of a deployment template file are not editable from within Release. Instead, create a new deployment template file.
To edit an existing deployment template record:
- From the Templates page, at the right end of the row containing the deployment template you desire to edit, click the dropdown arrow and select Edit.
- Make your adjustments.
- Click Save.
Deleting a Deployment Template
This action deletes only the deployment template and template entry records. Use the Files tab to delete the associated JSON template file,
To delete an existing deployment template record: