The simulate feature shows you which records would be deployed if actually deploying the data set. Because no destination org is involved, the simulation results do not show potential deployment errors or which record handling operation (insert, update, upsert) would be used for each record.
To simulate a data set deployment from the data set editor:
- From the Data Set Editor, click Simulate.
- From the Source Salesforce Organization list, select the connection to your source org data.
- Click Simulate.
- Monitor the progress of the simulation in real-time on the Simulation Results tracking page of the Deployment Results tab that appears.
- Monitor the simulation activity in real-time on the Simulation Activity tracking page.
Because there is no destination org for the simulation, all processed records appear as inserts in the list of activities.
- On the Simulation Results page, click View Results in the Simulation Batch Results and Simulation Data Sets Results sections to see the details of the deployment simulation.